We are asking for expression of interest in the following opportunity:
Ant Stones, the wonderful educator/writer/director currently running Shakespeare drama classes for Woking Home Education Group, is offering an opportunity for children to be involved in Stage/Play Writing.
More on Ant here: https://www.guildford-shakespeare-company.co.uk/team.html
The idea is that for the first term the children will take existing stories and convert them into a writing piece suitable for the stage. With continued interest the second term would be individual pieces.
Some possibilities of the class will be:
- Advice on the writing process;
- Explain the difference in writing for performance compared to other writing;
- Share how stage writers work with directors and actors;
- Bring real life examples of plays from the first draft, through to the final piece – sharing how many changes are required in the process;
- Channel the children’s inspiration and creation into a performance piece;
- Perhaps provide some working actors to work with the children on their pieces and give feedback;
- Work the children’s pieces into individual plays that could be performed in our Shakespeare classes;
- Provide a safe and supportive environment which will meet the current stage of each individual child.
Depending on numbers, we may run two classes (or two groups within one class) to allow for experience/age/etc to ensure less experienced children not feel intimidated; and to allow more challenge for experienced/older children/teens.
Nothing is set in stone, however at this stage the classes will probably run before the Shakespeare classes – so 9:15am or so as a start time.
Classes will occur in Woking, at Woking Home Education Group – on Wednesdays, from September 2016.
To register your expression of interest please respond by 29 May 2016. Please include your children’s ages/writing experience levels/budget limitations.